Hellen

Hellen

Becoming a Behavioral Science Researcher: A Guide to Producing Research That Matters
Rex B. Kline
Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference
Cordelia Fine
The Craftsman
Richard Sennett
Brave New World
Aldous Huxley
Amsterdam - Ian McEwan Having read Saturday only a month ago, I started this book thinking "oh no, here we go again...". Then it picked up. And then it was enjoyable.

The way composing, the occupation of one of the main characters, was described (well-researched, I presume) was much more enjoyable and believable than the neurosurgery in Saturday. So here you go, 3,5 stars.

I am convinced of Ian McEwan's ability to write and I have to come back to this review to add some quotes that I liked. In the meantime I'll continue my search for McEwan's 4+ star books.

"(...) [H]e removed his shoe and discovered a flattened black mass of chewing gum embedded deep in the zig-zag tread of the sole. Upper lip arched in disgust, he was still picking, cutting and scraping away with a pocket knife as the train began to move. Beneath the patina of grime, the gum was still slightly pink, like flesh, and the smell of peppermint was faint but distinct. How appalling, the intimate contact with the contents of a stranger's mouth, the bottomless vulgarity of people who chewed gum and who let it fall from their lips where they stood."