Hellen

Hellen

Becoming a Behavioral Science Researcher: A Guide to Producing Research That Matters
Rex B. Kline
Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference
Cordelia Fine
The Craftsman
Richard Sennett
Brave New World
Aldous Huxley
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks 4 stars, but more of a 4- compared to the 4 stars I gave to Sacks' Musicophilia.

The main ingredients are the same: respectfully and (in my opinion) nicely written case studies on the uncommon and the rare in neuroscience. I don't mind some fancy terms here and there and I don't mind the footnotes, but I can imagine it's harder to follow for people who don't know anything about neurology. I like how Sacks gives you food for thought and shows other ways to look at amongst others people with autism and mental retardation.

What I miss is a red line throughout the book in the way Musicophilia was written (keep in mind the latter was first published 22 years later). Because Sacks rarely seems to go into the 'why' behind the cases (and I don't blame him - a lot of it still needs research, especially back in 1985), the chapters feel a bit short and random, vaguely bound together by (mis)diagnoses they have in common and Oliver Sacks himself.